Ride & Reflect (http://ridereflect.com/) is a modern and luxurious fitness studio that offers indoor cycling as well as yoga and meditation classes. Located at 11 Olcott Square in Bernardsville, NJ, the studio is easily accessible from major highways such as I-78, I-287 & US202. I was invited to ride in a Saturday indoor cycling class by the studio’s owner Juliet Patsalos-Fox.
The studio was founded about two years ago by UK expat Juliet (her inspiring story can be found here). There are two entrances to the studio with the first floor dedicated to yoga and the basement floor (accessible as well from the rear parking lot) dedicated to indoor cycling, changing rooms and showers.
The studio reminded me of what I encountered when visiting indoor cycling locations in Seattle: elegant design, hardwood floors, beautiful furnishings, modern fixtures, retail store, high ceilings, changing rooms, showers (2) and secure lockers. Overall, about 4000 square feet.
Ride & Reflect utilizes 25 Keiser M3+ bikes (with cages & SPD clips) situated on two tier stadium layout (all bikes are numbered). The instructor’s bike is elevated on a platform and several classes are offered per week. No Performance Metrics are in use. The indoor cycling studio is equipped with professional lighting and a specialized sound system.
Prices & Process
Reservations can be directly made using the studio’s website (http://ridereflect.com/apps/mindbody/station-schedule). The site is well crafted and rendered easily on my mobile phone as well as on my tablet. There were no issues, broken links or missing images. Ride & Reflect uses the common interface provided by Mind & Body software utilized in many indoor cycling studio reservations. Prices start at $27 per class with discounts offered for students, seniors and multi-class purchases.
- There are four staff members that clean and setup the bikes at the end/start of each class. When you reserve a bike, your name and profile (seat elevation, handlebar position, seat cushion if needed and weight selection) are written on an index card and the crew will setup the bike for you BEFORE you arrive. I found this to be a very unique personal touch and a nice differentiator.
- Towels are provided as well as cubbies for storage and secure lockers.
- No shoe rental is offered.
- A variety of light hand-weights are used in class (while on the bike).
- Ear plugs and wipes are available.
- A wall-mounted Brita water filtration system is installed in the studio just as you enter from the rear parking lot.
- Free Wi-Fi is available.
- Delicious mini-smoothies were prepared and handed out by Juliet at the end of the class. Refreshing!!
- Customer Engagement: Within 24hours of my visit I received two follow-up emails from Ride & Reflect. The first was a “thank you” email which was brief and offered a hyperlink to reserve future classes (the usual CRM email template from Mind & Body). The second was an invitation to complete a survey about my visit. Both emails included opt-out links. I found this communication method important to the experience of reaching out to new customers and engaging them beyond the end of class. Another differentiating factor similar to what major indoor cycling studios use in forging a relationship with their riders. That is a customer-friendly approach and is a low cost, low friction method to connect with new and existing customers.
The rear parking lot is shared with other businesses on the same block. A few spaces are dedicated to Ride & Reflect. On the day I visited (Saturday AM), no spaces were available. However, street parking is available, albeit sparse. Meters are in use during the week and parking for morning or afternoon classes could be challenging.
Ride & Reflect offers a welcoming environment where the owner and support staff genuinely care about members’ experience, their fitness goals and their feedback. I was particularly impressed by the design of the studio and for a moment I thought to myself that if I ever opened an indoor cycling studio, I would definitely ask Juliet for some design ideas!!