Goal setting involves establishing specific, measurable, achievable, realistic and time-targeted goals (S.M.A.R.T). In 2015, your commitment to indoor cycling & spinning workouts should be focused on this strategic approach:
The criterion stresses the need for a specific goal rather than a more general one.
A specific goal will usually answer the five ‘W’ questions:
- What: What do I want to accomplish?
- Why: Specific reasons, purpose or benefits of accomplishing the goal.
- Who: Who is involved?
- Where: Identify a location.
- Which: Identify requirements and constraints.
The second criterion stresses the need for concrete criteria for measuring progress toward the attainment of the goal.
A measurable goal will usually answer questions such as:
- How much?
- How many?
- How will I know when it is accomplished?
- Indicators should be quantifiable
The third criterion stresses the importance of goals that are realistic and also attainable.
An achievable goal will usually answer the question How?
- How can the goal be accomplished?
- How realistic is the goal based on other constraints?
The fourth criterion stresses the importance of choosing goals that matter.
A relevant goal can answer yes to these questions:
- Does this seem worthwhile?
- Is this the right time?
The fifth criterion stresses the importance of grounding goals within a time-frame, giving them a target date.
A time-bound goal will usually answer the question
- What can I do six months from now?
- What can I do six weeks from now?
- What can I do today?
It’s time. Write down your goals, study them every day, work to accomplish them, track them and re-evaluate when needed. I am here to help. I can create the plan for you and coach you through the process as well as the indoor cycling classes. Contact me for further details.
Merry Christmas, Happy New Year & Happy Holidays!